Day 3 of 25 Days of Christmas: Cookies For Santa (Oatmeal Scotchies)
What can I say about Oatmeal Scotchies? The recipe is simple and comes printed on the back of the a butterscotch morsels package, but they’re a truly decadent treat. My mom made these during the holidays when I was growing up and they’ve remained a favorite of mine ever since. They have all the yummy aspects of an oatmeal cookie, but the butterscotch morsels add the perfect touch and after all these years of trying cookies I still think this is the best oatmeal cookie recipe.
During the holiday season I like to keep these stocked up in a cookie jar on the kitchen island for guests to enjoy when visiting (but mostly for Jimmy because they’re his favorite 😇). I also like to pack them up and send them in care packages to loved ones overseas because when baked for a shorter time they come out soft and chewy which allows them to keep their freshness longer while being shipped.
What you’ll need:
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick or old fashioned oats
- 1 package of NESTLE®️ TOLL HOUSE®️ Butterscotch Morsels
what to do:
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl until well blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture.
- Mix in morsels and oats.
- Drop by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet, 1 inch apart. (I make my “spoonfuls” about the size of golf balls.)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling rack and allow to set for about 5-10 minutes.